Sometimes good things just come out of the blue or happen at the right moment, this salsa is both of those things. I made it to go with the amazing Tuna I had bought and wanted to give proper respect to. Now I want it on every thing.
I have a love of condiments, for me they can transform a few simple ingredients into something special. I love to know that I have a few jars of flavour boosters in my fridge and pantry. Yes, this can get a little out of hand and there are moments when I see my family looking sadly in the fridge as if to say how can this be so full and there is nothing to actually eat! Haha and bad luck them, they just need to put a little effort and imagination in and there is a whole lot of deliciousness in there!
I have made chimichirri before and it has been good on the day, but right now this is the best, a little chunky, fresh, bright and straight up delicious salsa. It is my go to “put on everything” sauce of the summer. What’s more, it isn’t fussy or tricky to make! The main thing is the red wine vinegar, a squeeze of lemon and plenty of parsley and fresh herbs. Have a look outside if you live in Otago, origanum and thyme grow like weeds here, so useful and delicious or you might have some other wild herbs around that you can use. I really enjoyed the flavour a couple of sprigs of fresh thyme added. I also added a few of the seed heads of the parsley and the origanum flower in this batch and I think they added another dimension to the flavour, ubut they were not necessary, I used them just because they were there and for a little extra complexity. The salsa seems to cope with little changes according to your fridge or garden, today some basil to make it sit with my little cherry tomatoes, another day some coriander because that is what I have in my garden. I love the chilli flakes, or some fresh chilli, but they aren’t totally necessary if they aren’t your thing. I do think that this is a robust and lively sort of salsa and that the garlic is important.
Use this sauce on everything!
- Steak or sliced roast beef
- Spooned over fresh fish. How lucky was I to buy this ultra fresh, beautiful Yellow fin Tuna, super dark flesh, silky smooth textured, #best ever!
- Roast vegetable salad
- Fresh tomatoes
- Charred summer vegetable bruschetta
- Grilled chicken or lamb (a different take on mint sauce)
- Your favourite Shakshuka eggy tomato breakfast or supper
- Grilled Haloumi or feta
- A Nicoise or Greek style salad
Too Easy – Chimichirri Salsa
- 1 cup finely chopped herbs – 1/2 cup parsley and mix of origanum a sprig of thyme and other herbs to make up quantity
- 1/2 red onion finely chopped
- 1 clove of garlic crushed or finely sliced (I use my microplane)
- 1/4 -1/2 tsp salt (depends on what salt you use) Taste
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp chilli flakes or fresh chilli to taste
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- juice of 1/2 a lemon
- 1/2 cup of extra virgin olive oil
Give this salsa a go, double triple quadruple and drink it(not really), it really is great, spoon it on your next meal and enjoy.